Friday, March 25, 2011

For the Love of Cooking

I've been trying to stay committed to blogging more regularly---needless to say, it's been hard! I look at my life as being rather simply-lived, and although simplicity really suits me, it doesn't provide much in the way of excitement that some might find worthy of sharing. So, just the other day, a friend suggested I start posting my menus/recipes on occassion; the ones that seem to have appeal and sound incredibly delicious. I've decided that it's a good idea.


I am going to kick off this new portion of my blog with a tribute to the "mom" who raised me; my maternal grandmother, Kay Dean. Mom was such a wonderful cook. Growing up in the 1920s and through the Depression years and, later, surviving as the divorced mother of a young child for several years during the 1940's before she re-married, she learned to be creative with food preparation and to be able to, somehow, whip up a feast with very little.

In the late 1960's and early 70's, when I was a little girl, Mom would stand me on a chair in the kitchen right next to her so I could see what she was doing and participate, at least as much as my small hands would allow, in the whole kitchen process---from stirring, to chopping, to washing dishes and wiping counters, I wasn't viewed as a nuisance, but as a "helper". I lovingly acknowledge her for encouraging my love of cooking and for teaching me that food doesn't have to be "fancy" to be delicious. Her kitchen motto was always "simple is best".

Growing up, one of my favorite cold weather, rainy day meals was Shepherd's Pie. Because ground beef has always been an economical option, we ate our "fair share", to be sure. Here is her recipe for that lovely, stick-to-your-ribs casserole.


Shepherd's Pie

Topping 1 1/2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled, quarted, and boiled until tender

1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream

2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

1/2 tsp. garlic

ground pepper and salt, to taste

When potatoes are cooked to tender, drain and reserve 1/2 cup liquid. Return to pan and mash with remaining ingredients, adding some of the reserved potato water if needed. Using electric mixer, whip potatoes until smooth and creamy. Set aside and keep warm.

Filling

3 Tbsp. cooking oil

1 medium onion, diced

1 large carrot, peeled and diced

1 celery stalk, halved length-wise, then cut into thin slivers

1 lb. ground beef (or lamb)

1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

1 tsp. dried rosemary

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 pinch ground nutmeg

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 cup beef broth (more may be needed)

salt and pepper, to taste

paprika

In heavy skillet, heat oil on medium heat, add onion, carrot, and celery, and cook until tender; about 5 minutes.

Add ground meat, 1 Tbsp. flour, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Cook until meat is no longer pink and mixture is bubbly and thickened. Add additional beef broth if mixture becomes too thick---should be a gravy-like consistency.

Pour mixture into a 2-qt. casserole dish and top with mashed potato mixture. Sprinkle top with paprika and bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.

***NOTE*** When I make this for my family, I always add 4 oz. sliced, sautéed mushrooms to the filling and I sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup butter-toasted bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and just a bit of paprika for color.

Mom always served Shepherd's Pie with green beans cooked with chopped onions and a little bacon grease, with bread pudding for dessert.


Mom's Bread Pudding



3-4 cups stale bread, torn into pieces (I always use French bread)

2 cups whole milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup sugar

1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup raisins, soaked in warm water, drained

1/4 tsp. allspice

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

3 Tbsp. butter, melted, and more to butter dish

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a medium bowl, soak bread in milk until completely absorbed. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, vanilla, raisins, and spices. Add to bread and stir to combine. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish. Pour melted butter over top. Bake 30-35 minutes until firm and golden brown. Serve with vanilla custard or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

"Food is our common ground; a universal experience." ~~~James Beard~~~



















1 comment:

  1. Yum! I am going to print off that recipe for Shepard's Pie. That looked wonderful...and considering that it's going to be raining ALL week here (Georgia), this would be a welcome addition to our menu this week! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete