Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beach Day

Yesterday afternoon I took my sons to Moonstone Beach in Trinidad, just a few miles from our home. It was a perfect beach day-----the sun was shining, just a bit of wind and clear blue skies. We finished up our schoolwork in the morning and then packed up some drinks, the Frisbee and a bag for shells. Matthew and Alex were glad to get out of the house and I definitely needed a respite, as well. The rugged and untamed coastal beaches of my beloved northern California soothe my soul and lift my spirits.

Moonstone Beach

The boys played Frisbee, stopping occassionally to help me hunt for shells. The beach was littered with mussel shells, a few clam shells, and broken sand dollars. The sand was hard and compact and the tide was far enough out that we could explore the sea caves, too.

Inside the Sea Cave

As I stood on the beach looking out over the Pacific, a flock of brown pelicans flew past, headed to the rocks just a short distance away. I called out to Matthew, pointing excitedly, "Look, Mattie. Look at that!" He watched for a while and then said simply, "Very cool, Mom."

We are so privileged to live on what I consider to be one of the most lovely places on earth. We are surrounded by majestic Redwood forests, the Trinity Alps to the east, the King Range to the south, various rivers, and of course, the grand Pacific. I am so glad that my children have the opportunity to grow up amidst such awe-inspiring beauty.



Moonstone Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment