Friday, April 23, 2010

Living in the Moment



Ryan and Matthew

Living in the moment is hard to do---especially if you're the kind of person who is always planning their next "move". I used to be so much more focused about things which, I'm quite sure, made me uptight and anxious. Not that being focused on a particular task is a bad thing, just that focusing our lives right down to the very last detail takes all the spontaneity and joy out of the moment. It robs us of our enjoyment of the RIGHT NOW!



Alex

My 43rd birthday is fast approaching, and as I get older, and as my children grow up, I am reminded almost daily that I will never pass this way again. I will never again be able to seize that exact moment that I lost because I was too busy, too tired, too stressed-out, to be a part of what was happening right then and there.

Matthew


A really amazing and beautiful thing about children is that they don't have to try to live in the moment----they just do! It's as natural to them as breathing. Most children I know have a difficult time trying to put time into perspective because all they understand is right this minute. Sometimes as parents we become exasperated in attempting to explain for the hundredth time that dinner will be ready "in an hour" or we'll be there "soon" or you need to finish up "right away". But, oh, that we adults could throw out the window our concept of time, of the urgent, the necessary, just for....."a little while". If we could learn to play with abandon like our children. If we could learn to get lost in the now.

Alex


"This Day"
by Point of Grace
This day is fragile ~ soon it will end
And once it has vanished, it will not come again
So let us love with a love pure and strong
Before this day is gone

This day is fleeting when it slips away
Not all our money can buy back this day
So let us pray that we might be a friend
Before this day is gone

This day we're given is golden ~ Let us show love
This day is ours for one moment ~ Let us sow love

This day is frail ~ it will pass by
So before it's too late to recapture the time
Let us share love, let us share God
Before this day is gone

No comments:

Post a Comment