Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Quilts Galore!

Although I love the finished product that quilting produces, I have never been particularly interested in learning to quilt myself. I am not a very coordinated person by nature and I think quilting, for me, would be a frustrating experience, to say the least.

My first taste of lovely quilts was from the handiwork of a man named Tom Lacy. I got to know Tom in the late 1980s when I was staying with my soon-to-be in-laws. Mr. Lacy was, well, he was an interesting character. He passed away during the ice storms in Kentucky last year, but he left behind an amazing legacy-----beautiful, handsewn quilts! I suppose it is a bit odd for a man to enjoy quilting, but Tom was a unique individual. He cooked, baked, sewed, and quilted throughout his entire life, well up into his 80s; and all very well, indeed. My mother-in-law was the recipient of several of his handmade quilts and I know she felt very lucky to have them, each one made just for her.

After living in eastern Kentucky for nearly 15 years and vacationing in the nearby Smoky Mountains more times than I can count, I can tell you that I have been privileged to see some gorgeous handmade quilts made by local artisans. Some were very intricate, with wild designs and bright colors, defnitely made to look at and not use. Others were very simple, almost primitive, and obviously made to be functional. It was, of course, this very quality that made them so stunning.

"Sunny Girls" by Pat Durbin

A friend of mine, Pat Durbin, is also a quilter-----a quilter extraordinaire! She creates lovely pieces of art with fabric and thread in ways that truly astound. Pat has won numerous awards on local, state, national and even international levels and she has also written several books detailing her very unique method for making "picture quilts". Her work is absolutely inspiring! Please check out her website:

http://patdurbin.com/

"Among Giants" by Pat Durbin

"The world is but a canvas to the imagination" ~~~Henry David Thoreau



No comments:

Post a Comment