Sunday, January 10, 2010

Shake, Rattle & Roll

On Saturday, January 9, 2010, at about 4:27 pm, California's North Coast experienced yet another earthquake----this one being a 6.5 magnitude. It was located about 30 miles off the coast of Eureka, about 13.5 miles deep, the epicenter being a little northwest of the Mendocino Triple Junction, which is formed by the intersection of the Mendocino fracture zone, the San Andreas fault and the Cascadia subduction zone. Although I grew up in northern California and learned all the 'earthquake safety stuff', I have to say, I was scared.

My husband and I had taken a quick trip to our local Blockbuster to redeem a coupon for a free dvd rental. We were browsing in one of the aisles when it suddenly felt as though a huge truck had hit the side of the building. We walked out onto the main floorspace to see what had happened when the entire building started rumbling and shaking. Earthquake! The motion seemed to go on for quite a long time and it was difficult to keep balance in a standing position. After it stopped, I immediately tried to call home with no response. We left quickly to return home to check on our 17 year old and 11 year old who had stayed while Mark and I drove the 1/2 mile to the video store. The boys were just fine and there was no damage. Amazing! The electricity was out and it was getting dark so we gathered up all our candles and got ready for a quiet night.


The rest of the county did not fare as well, however. Moderate to severe damage in nearby Eureka estimated at $14.3 million. Damaged buildings, broken water and gas mains, business closures. In spite of the destruction, only one major injury was reported. So, needless to say, it was bad, but it sure could have been worse.


I have always been one of those people who is actually intrigued by natural disasters. I find weather and geological phenomena exciting.....in a scary kind of way.....but, exciting, nonetheless.
Now that's not to say that I would actually want to experience these occurrences myself, but I am always on the look-out for a good "how I survived a natural disaster" story. Whether it is in movie/docu-drama or book form is of little consequence, as long as it has lots of 'disaster action'. Why is it that so many of us enjoy reading about or watching the misfortune of others. For me, personally, I think, it's a way to build up my psyche----a way to tell myself, if these folks can make it through this particular event, then so can I.

One of the most endearing qualities of disaster epochs is the fact that everyone seems to pull together in a time of great need. Just when we think the world is full of nothing but heartless, uncaring individuals, disaster strikes and reminds us, once again, that there is an abundance of lovely people out there who would literally give us the shirt off their back if we needed it and who understand that working together for the good of others requires no special skills and knows no barriers caused by the color of one's skin, a person's last name, or the particular religion one might adhere to.

I think it's safe to say that, in disaster, although we cannot control the outcome, we can limit the extent of the aftermath, at least in part, by the way in which we respond to it. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a good 'disaster flick', but let's always strive to rise to the occassion when disaster strikes closer to home.

"Today, as never before, the fates of men are so intimately linked to one another that a disaster for one is a disaster for everybody." ~~~Natalia Ginzburg

Please visit the following site so you can learn how to be prepared for the next earthquake.



**earthquake photos from the Times-Standard




No comments:

Post a Comment